What are Dermal Fillers?
Want a makeover – without surgery? Today’s dermal fillers have very little downtime, and can give your facial appearance the boost you’ve been hoping for. Injectable fillers are designed to replace lost volume, plumping up lips or filling deep wrinkles. Patients enjoy the nearly instantaneous results. Fiala Aesthetics uses only FDA-approved fillers, including: Restylane®, Juvéderm®, Sculptra™, Perlane®, Belotero®, ArteFill®, and Radiesse®.
What are the different kinds of dermal fillers?
- Juvéderm® and Restylane®: These are hyaluronic (HA) gel products that last for up to 6–12 months. They are often used for correcting the nasolabial folds, and for lip plumping.
- Belotero®: Belotero is a newer hyaluronic gel filler with a smooth texture. It can be used like Juvederm and Restylane, but is also very good around the eye area, in the “tear trough” (off-label use). It typically lasts 6 months or longer. It is unique in that it can be placed very superficially without showing.
- Perlane®: Perlane gel is designed for deeper injection than Restylane. It works well for severe facial wrinkles and folds.
- Radiesse®: Radiesse is made of calcium hydroxyapatite. It has a thicker consistency and is best for deeper tissue placement. It is excellent for cheek augmentation. It is long lasting – typically lasting over one year.
- ArteFill®: The first FDA-approved permanent injectible dermal filler, ArteFill is made from microspheres of PMMA, covered in bovine collagen. A skin test is required. It should be placed deeply in the tissue, and is useful for severe nasolabial creases.
- Sculptra®: More a volume-stimulating agent than a filler, Sculptra is made of poly-L-lactic acid, a liquid form of surgical suture material. It gradually stimulates your body to make new collagen in the treated areas. It is excellent for re-volumizing sunken areas of the face – especially the cheeks, the eyebrow and temple areas.
- Voluma®: An HA gel specifically formulated for filling and lifting of the cheek areas.
- Restylane Silk: An HA gel specifically formulated for the lips and for fine lines. It can also be used, off-label, in the tear trough area.
Fiala Aesthetics participates in Allergan’s “Brilliant Distinctions” Program, a customer loyalty program in which you earn points for discounts on future purchases of Botox, Latisse, Juvederm and other Allergan products. Think of it like a “frequent flyer” program!
Are dermal fillers safe?
Yes. Allergic reactions to dermal fillers are rare. The track record of safety with the injectable HA gel products is excellent, with a very low rate of complications.
How do I decide which filler to get?
Each filler has specific features that are suited to certain facial applications. Some need to be placed deeply in the tissues, others can work right underneath the skin surface. Some can be placed in the lips or near the eyes – and some can’t. Come and see us for an in-person consultation, and we’ll help you sort this out.
Will I bruise?
You might. You can help to minimize this by avoiding things that increase bruising – like aspirin, motrin, advil, Vitamin E, fish oil supplements and alcohol. Also – don’t have fillers within 3 weeks prior to any important social events. Injections near the eyelids and lips do tend to bruise, even with a careful injection technique.
Are dermal fillers painful?
Usually, people tolerate them very well. Most of the modern fillers have lidocaine mixed in the gel, which numbs the area upon injection. Also, numbing cream and ice can be used, to help make the injection be more comfortable. Let us know if you are needle-phobic or highly anxious – there are some additional things we can do, with advance notification.
Will dermal fillers replace a facelift?
No. Dermal fillers do not lift or tighten tissues, like a facelift would. But fillers work very well indeed for the patient who either notices a few lines & wrinkles and is not ready for a facelift, or for the patient that has already had a facelift and wants to maintain the improved appearance for as long as possible. Botox, dermal fillers, skincare and surgery each play a role in helping treat appearance issues.
Will I have a lot of swelling?
It depends on the product used, the amount of product used, and your body. There is often some swelling for the first 2 or 3 days, after which things usually settle down, giving the desired appearance.
What if I change my mind after having the dermal fillers?
One of the nice things about the HA group of fillers, like Juvederm, Restylane and Belotero, is that we can “undo” them, if necessary. There is an injectable agent that can “erase” the fillers. Permanent fillers, like Artefill, are not reversible.