Plastic Surgery Innovation & Advancements
Board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Thomas Fiala, has been an early adopter of many advancements in operative techniques and patient care systems, designed to reduce complications, improve safety, and help patients have optimal surgery and recovery with less pain and nausea. Here are just a few of them:
- Use of comprehensive surgical checklists for all patients. Proven by NASA and pilots everywhere.
- Multi-modality analgesia techniques: using pre-and post-op medications proven to reduce post-op pain and nausea, without having to rely only on narcotics.
- Use of advanced anti-nausea medications (Aprepitant, Zofran) for those patients with a past history of postoperative nausea or motion sickness.
- Long-acting nerve blocks: ultrasound-guided nerve blocks for the abdomen and chest areas are routinely used, which significantly reduce post-op pain. Dr. Fiala is a pioneer in the area of TAP blocks with Exparel for a tummy tuck and abdominal liposuction, and PECS blocks for breast lift, reduction, and complex revisions.
- Pre-operative nutritional support: reduces wound healing problems, especially for gastric bypass patients.
- Caprini scale screening of all patients: to identify and treat those at high risk for DVT.
- Use of TXA to reduce bleeding during major surgeries. Optional use of TXA for patients with a history of “easy bruising”.
- An MRSA-decolonization protocol for patients at risk.
- An intra-operative warming blanket for all patients to prevent hypothermia.
- Sequential compression devices for all patients to reduce DVT risk.
- Keller funnels for all breast implant placements.
- Avoidance of routine benzodiazepine use.
- Use of high-resolution ultrasound for breast implant follow-up screening in the office
- …and more.
Comparing your options? Check and see how many of these safety and quality items are routinely performed at other facilities!