Breast Implant ReplacementPosted on February 5, 2023
Breast Implant Replacement
Breast implant replacement plastic surgery involves replacement of breast implants. This revision surgery is conducted after a preliminary examination by the surgeon to determine the cause of complications. They will advise breast implant replacement only when it is the best course of action.
Advantages of Breast Implant Replacement Procedure
- Restores breasts to a desired shape and size
- Positions the implants to a proper location in harmony with the natural breasts
- Lifts your breasts and removes loose skin
- Replaces deflated or old implants with new advanced ones
How often should you replace your breast implants?
There is no hard and fast expiration date on breast implants. Most silicone and saline implants are FDA approved for 10-20 years, but this does not mean that you have to get them replaced every 10-20 years. You can safely go beyond these time frames, and most patients only have to have 1-2 replacements in their lifetime. The length of time you can safely go between replacements will depend on the type of implant you receive and your physiology. Your surgeon should discuss the life of your implants with you before your procedure.
Suitable Candidacy for Breast Implant Replacement
You may be a suitable candidate for a breast implant replacement cosmetic surgery if any of the following scenarios apply to you:
- You want to improve your breast appearance
- You want to change the breast size
- Existing breast implants have shifted and are not properly positioned anymore
- Your breasts appear asymmetrical or uneven
- Your implants are ruptured or leaking
- Your implants are over 15 years old
Breast Implant Replacement Procedure
These are a few steps that are common to all breast implant replacement plastic surgery:
- An incision will be made, usually where the original incision was made to reduce scarring.
- The surgeon will remove old implants completely. They may also remove a part of or complete scar capsule from the previous implants. This scar capsule will be sent for further testing to a lab.
- The surgeon will create a suitable space or pocket after removing the old implants and capsule. This is where the new implants will be inserted. This may be a completely new layer or in the same layer as previous breast implants. This will be discussed in the pre-operative consultation.
- The new implants will be carefully inserted and positioned in the new spaces made.
- The surgeon will suture the incisions carefully.
Getting a Different Breast Implant Size
Many patients want a different sized implant after their primary breast augmentation procedure. This can either be larger or smaller. Generally, women switch implants after a few years of getting the first surgery performed. Natural breast size and volume may change because of pregnancy, weight fluctuations, breastfeeding, childbirth, and aging or gravity.
The same incision, whether in the armpit, below the nipple, or in the breast crease, can be used for moderate changes (larger or smaller) in implant size. Breast revision surgery is usually less painful and easier with a faster recovery. The surgeon may need to modify the breast capsule or pocket for accommodating size changes when they are significant. This is regardless of whether they are larger or smaller implants. This may require a slightly longer recovery period.
You may require breast lift as an additional procedure if you are changing to a smaller implant. However, this is necessary only in certain cases. Your surgeon will understand your individual needs before recommending the best course of action.
For More Information on the Treatments and Procedures offered, contact award winning Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Thomas Fiala at Fiala Aesthetics in Greater Orlando to Schedule Your Consultation: